Fat Girl Wearing Thin

Life beyond the loss.

Feb 03

Wild Thing

Today’s pose was a true challenge:  Wild Thing, or Camatkarasana pose.  I remember trying to do this pose in class once and it was a disaster.  Not only does it require balance but also strength and the ability to do a backbend.  I had the arm strength to hold up my body and was getting more flexible in my back but for some reason I couldn’t hold the pose without falling over.  It was as though my body refused to bend that way.  When I saw that our next pose was Wild Thing I suddenly became self conscious about sharing a photo of a pose that I felt uncomfortable doing, especially when I know what it’s supposed to look like.  Take a look at this:

But then of course I realized that one of the beautiful things about yoga is the subtle changes that take place over time –  if every pose was shown in ‘perfect form’, what would we have to aspire to?

So, for this Monday, here is my version of this difficult pose:

Hey, I was able to hold it long enough for a photo so that’s something, right?  Although Brulee doesn’t look all that impressed now, does he?  😉

1. Roxie says:

These yoga pics are fabulous. What a beautiful record you are building….

• Ellen says:

You’re so sweet – thank you. I wish I’d started taking photos (just for personal record) when I started doing yoga. Sometimes it’s hard to see how far we’ve come. Hopefully with these I’ll be able to do actually ‘see’ my progress in a few months time. Especially that Wild Thing pose!

2. Shan says:

You did that in your jeans? I can barely bend forward in my jeans. My old lady rotator cuff aches looking at that. But YOU look fabulous and effortless. I see Brulee is in some sort of reverse corpse pose.

3. Shan says:

Who is that cute baby doing the cobra pose beside my name? Did I have a child and forget? It COULD happen. I have dreamed of that scenario plenty of times.

4. Caron says:

I am loving this little series. I think you are doing the poses very, very well. It is definitely something for me look forward to learning to do.

I love the look of your blog today. Did I miss an announcement? :)

• Ellen says:

Thank you, Caron :) I appreciate your encouraging words! My blog is undergoing another personality change – lol. The current background is from one of my paintings. I’m just trying to find one that actually ‘fits’ without having half of it cut away! Trial and error….

5. Looks beautiful – I am loving this challenge. So inspirational! I’m determined to do each pose every day, so I know I’ll get even a little yoga in!

• Ellen says:

Thank you, Laura. I may decide to keep doing these for my own record, just so I can keep an account of my progress. This particular challenge is only for 8 days which is a good start for me. It gives me time to see if I can actually commit to something longer in the future :)

6. Val says:

Like the “new look” too, although the prompts for posting comments aren’t showing up on my computer?!?
    I’ve been sidelined w/a damn MRSA abscess on my R shin – no gym, no yoga studio until it has completely dried up – and after almost 4 wks, I’m going stir-crazy! But there’s light at the end of the tunnel, I’ve been doing small snippets of yoga at home, hoping to jump back in w/both feet at the end of this week when I finish my antibiotics.

But I think your pose looks great – if I tried Wild Thing I’d be ass-over-teakettle for sure!