Fat Girl Wearing Thin

Life beyond the loss.

Oct 24

Autumn Finale

I am in the beginning stages of starting a new blog – an art blog.  FGWT won’t be going anywhere, but I suspect that many of you who come here don’t expect to see all this art talk over the past few months.  This is not to say that I’ll stop showing you what I’m working on here from time to time, but my art blog will concentrate solely on my creative side.

Since my art blog isn’t quite ready yet I thought I’d subject you to one more post that is filled with inspiration – my inspiration for the last few paintings of the season, from a recent drive up north into the beautiful state of Michigan:

Scenes like this made it difficult to drive!  Luckily, I wasn’t doing the driving.   I did have to watch my mouth a couple of times after I found myself yelling, ‘LOOK!’ like a 4 year old.  Craig didn’t know if I was pointing towards danger or an accident or Bigfoot.  Finally, I had to tone down my enthusiasm, but it felt like we were driving inside a dream painting.  It was absolutely beautiful.

Look at this picturesque town with the church steeple in the distance.

We visited a pumpkin farm and I had to take a photo of this color combination.

One of my favorite photos, taken at the side of the road.  No wonder why I’m so obsessed with the color orange right now.

Now, THAT is one giant pumpkin!

A horse farm, just begging to be photographed.  I literally screamed, “STOP!!” so I could get out and snap this photo.

Definitely one of my favorite times of the year.

It’s no wonder I’ve been painting scenes like the ones above for the last several weeks! Hmm……Maybe I do have a couple more paintings in me that I could do before it snows.   The one below was supposed to be my last of the season.  It reads:

I am firmly planted.  Through wind, rain or drought, I am rooted, still.

I love that saying.  Love it.

Remember these words about yourself whenever you feel overwhelmed.  It’s a great affirmation. And it’s true.

**EDITED:  I have my art blog up and running for those of you who are interested.  It’s more of a spot for me to brainstorm and pour forth ideas in a more productive way; right now I’m using post-its and memory and believe me, neither of those things are working very well.    Stop by and say ‘hi’ if you’d like.  You can link to it here or via my Ellen Brenneman Studios logo at the top right hand side of this page.

1. Sabrina says:

Gorgeous photos! You are a beautiful artist. I can’t wait to see whats in store at your new blog.

• Ellen says:

Thank you, Sabrina. You are very sweet. My art blog is nothing exciting but at least it’s a place where I can brainstorm. Maybe it will be one of those that will evolve into something spectacular over time – I can dream big, can’t I? lol

2. Munchberry says:

Beautiful pics E. Isn’t your neck of the woods gorgeous.

• Ellen says:

You have to drive a bit further North to get this kind of color. Not too far, though – luckily Michigan is close to us. Definitely a day trip and worth every single moment on the road.

3. Lisa says:

Wow! What gorgeous pictures!!!

4. Wow…all I can say is that your trees are much more beautiful than ours!!

• Ellen says:

This happened to be an unusual season for us. We get color, but nothing like this. Pure luck that I got these photos. The following weekend everything was pretty much gone.

5. Jan says:

Beautiful Fall pictures and I LOVE the saying you chose for your painting. Definitely words to live by!

6. teresa says:

I can’t believe those photos!!! Do you think the people who live there all the time still see it? I hope they do.
    And I love the painting. Of course.
    Can’t wait for the new blog.
    I keep wondering if I should seperate everything again, but I can’t do it. One is enough and it’ll just have to do.

• Ellen says:

I sure hope those people still see the beauty that’s around them.
      Don’t separate your blogs, Tree. The way you have it now is perfect. I love the way you have everything in its own place there.

7. Jenn @ Cooking Aweigh the Pounds says:

Gorgeous! Out here it’s mostly evergreens (Seattle is called the Emerald City for a reason.) so your pictures are a treat. We do get some yellow and lightly orange trees, but nothing as vibrant as what you have.

I hope that Craig’s heart has recovered from your drive! 😉

• Ellen says:

Yes, he’s recovered. And over it. It’s leaf season here and its a daily ritual getting all of the leaves raked up. It takes about a month for all of them to fall and I can’t help him this year. Tried raking and it just ain’t happening for my stomach this season so he’s doing it by himself. Nearly done, though!

8. Chelsey says:

Absolutely LOOVVVIIINNGGG these photos!

9. Oh my! Lovely photos, Ellen! We have one tree in our neighborhood that’s just starting to turn. :) Thank you for sharing these photos so I can have an autumn too!

10. Beth says:

I do the same thing to Mark…Look over there…Wow, that’s beautiful…Check out that hill! It drives him nuts, but I absolutely LOVE fall scenery, and it is beautiful in Michigan right now!! BTW…I am your first follower on your new blog, but I couldn’t figure out how to post a comment :) Love you!

• Ellen says:

Thank you for being my first subscriber, Beth – even though it must be a bit boring for you – that’s true friendship, there 😉
      You live in the heart of leaf season. Next year I want us to take a trip out to visit you at the peak!

11. LauraJayne says:

These photographs are amazing – I would love to buy prints of these! Are they going on your store?

12. debby says:

Oh my oh my oh my!!! Thank you so much for sharing these pics. My favorite is the first one. I will be checking out your art blog. I have a quilt blog, but I have trouble keeping up with two blogs.

13. Goodnuff says:

Beautiful, makes me miss home. You take absolutely stunning photos!

14. Hanlie says:

Your photographs are breathtaking! I want to live in those scenes! Just until the snow comes of course…