working weekend

This was a working weekend, of sorts.  While my husband and nephew moved all of our family room furniture out to the garage so we could prepare for some much needed new carpet, I made a point of moving all of my art supplies back down to my studio in the basement.

FACT:  If you asked me to come to your house right now, I could organize any room, closet or drawer with ease.  I excel at doing things like this.  But, in my own home? I wander aimlessly back and forth with an armful of things wishing I had a black plastic bag that I could stuff everything into and then shove into a cabinet.

When I came home from the hospital, my husband brought my easel, canvases and a box of paints up to the first floor where I would be recuperating for the next 10 days.  I painted mostly at the dining room table because it had the most light and I could go out onto the deck when I needed a break.  Since that time I’ve watched the seasons change from late Spring to Summer, and now Fall.  I needed to move back to my proper studio, and not just because it was where the majority of my supplies were.  Other than the fact that we seriously needed our dining room table back as a place to eat and not a work station, I needed to be on a floor where the kitchen was not.

Working from home has been challenging.  Convenient – but challenging.   Don’t get me wrong, I’m a great employee.  I work with diligence and I rarely take breaks.  However, my kitchen had become the equivalent to that of a typical office break room: microwave, refrigerator, water on demand, and plenty of snacks.  All it was missing was the office gossip, ‘Mr. Blabbermouth’ (yes, my imaginary catty troublemaker is a man.  Gotta break those stereotypes!)  And I know exactly what he’d be whispering:  ‘Psst.  Did you hear that Ellen left her easel 4 times this morning and went straight to the cupboard?  Uh-huh.  I know!  Can you believe it?  I overheard someone say that she stood there for 5 minutes as if she were expecting a candy bar to appear!  But you didn’t hear it from me – I mean, it’s none of my business.’

I am not self-sabotaging, but I see this becoming a potential problem if I am not proactive about it; so, downstairs I go. Sometimes its just easier to make minor adjustments now in order to avoid major upset later on.

Yesterday was my first day painting downstairs and I’d actually forgotten the convenience of having all of my supplies within arms reach.  I don’t know why I waited so long.

I am continuing to paint inspirational quotes onto my tree paintings.  I am drawn to these and plan on doing a few for each changing season.  Here is the latest, available on Etsy:

In other news, I got a JOB!  Well, it’s temporary, but at least I’m back in the workforce for a few weeks.  I’m working as a freelance writer for a local company who’s hired me to write a few articles for them.  And I have a deadline which I’m not used to but I’ll make it happen.  I’ve got a week to make this the best article EVER!!  Or, at least legible.  lol

Not much else to report for today, except:  I learned over the weekend that there is a Dunkin Donuts going up literally 60 seconds from my home.  Seriously.  Those of you who have been reading my blog for a while know that DD have a history together – we actually used to date for a while.  I’m trying keep in mind that they will do my body NO good whatsoever, but my mouth is thinking of all kinds of dirty thoughts.  Someone please tell me that they don’t taste as well as I remember when I was a kid. Otherwise, part of me feels DOOMED, I tell you!  lol

I hope you all had a great weekend and as always, thanks for reading today.  xo

Ellen

20 thoughts on “working weekend

1. Norma

Dude…I live in MA where it is a state law that there needs to be a Dunkin’ Donuts within five minutes of EVERYONE and EVERYTHING at ALL TIMES. There are THREE of them I can practically hit by standing in my driveway and spitting into the wind! The local hospital (where I used to work) has one ON SITE and two more a stone’s throw away. Altogether there are eight in my town that I can think off the top of my head.

That said…I never go there anymore. Like you, DD and I no longer hang. I have gotten a few black iced coffees in a pinch over the summer. But the rest of the stuff is just tooooo evil. Once my kids asked me what I would eat if I could eat anything I wanted and not have it make me get fat again…tops on the list was DD Boston Creme donuts, paired with DD white hot chocolate…seriously…

So…no DD. :)

You are too funny. You’re like we are with our Starbucks. Literally one within throwing distance of any and every direction.
      Yep. Evil. Good word for it. Not only do I have to avoid that road from now on, but I also hear that Whole Foods has a kick-ass bakery that I now need to be aware of. Always temptation.

I promise the donuts only taste good for a minute and then you’d just feel sick! They’re too easy to eat. They’re like air, and then like gurgling yuk in your tummy. Not worth it.
    and I LOVE this painting. I’m always amazed at how much depth they have. That magical forest just goes on and on in there.
    And yeah for getting back into the studio!
    Is your basement one of those that is a bit above ground and has windows?
    I can’t imagine working without my windows, but I know some people like that.
    I just organized my studio a bit too. I have lots to do and needed it all spread out properly.
    xo

Thank you for that. I may email you occasionally and ask you to tell me that they smell like a dirty diaper or something – just to keep that train of thought. lol
      I have small windows in the basement. And the ambiance isn’t too great down there, either – what with the washer and dryer within leaning distance. But hey, at least my clothes will be clean ALL of the time, right?

3. Lisa

I am a reformed Dunkin Donuts lover also. My addiction started young and can be attributed to my mother – seriously, no 12 year old can legally drive 20 miles to get their own Dunkin Donuts. In our area, they used to sell enormous cookies and also the muffins. Mom would buy them by the dozens and freeze them, where we could go get one anytime we wanted! My DD addiction was also the reason for my c-section taking place 6.5 hours after I arrived at the hospital when I was pregnant with my first child. I *had* to have 2 donuts before going to the hospital, since they wouldn’t give me anything to eat after I got there. I could have eaten a dozen and still waited 6 hours, what a shame to have only eaten 2!
    DD don’t taste as good as they once did, but I still have to avoid it. Luckily there are no DD that close to me!

Okay Lisa, you say ‘reformed’. That means it CAN be beat!! Woo-Hoo!
      Your story is so funny – OMG, now THAT is some serious DD Dedication.

4. Tim (Fat.Boy.Thin)

Congratulations on the job, Ellen! Everyone who reads your articles will no doubt love them! You’re such a fantastic writer!

Also I just want to say I’ve been blogging for 2 years now and I just want to say thanks for all your support since Day 1. It means so much to me that you’ve been there with advice, support and your awful jokes haha ;)

*Big hugs*

Tim

Hi, Tim ((((hugs back)))))
      SO nice to see you :) Congratulations on two years. I completely missed my second anniversary (it was Sept 23rd, I think). Wow. We’ve been blog buddies for over two years. Pretty cool, I’d say. We both have come a long way – my jokes are the only thing that hasn’t gotten much better! lol

Love the painting, congrats on the job AND feeling strong enough to move back downstairs to your studio. That’s a big step – you’ve come a long way.

Thank you, Sharon. It’s amazing where one will end up. This is temporary but it will be one more thing I can add to my ever growing list on my resume ;)

Good girl nipping the snack dalliances in the bud. it is easy to stroll into the breakroom and hit the vending machine for a snack. “Nobody is looking – why not!” Grrr. And yes, vending. Those snickers cost mightily.

I have never had a Dunkin Donut, but have had their coffee. YUM! We have a donut shop here in town that is never open. I used to get pissed, now I pass it, see the closed sign and am forever grateful. I love a warm fritter or one of those weird lighter than air round donuts that sort of have a twirly pattern (though they are round), sorta eggy, topped with chocolate. What are those? I wonder about them from time to time. Mind scrub.

The dogs will be very busy staking out carpet territory in Casa Ellen this week. Lucky lucky you.

Well, we shall see how long that lasts. You’ve never had a DD? Good for you. Don’t start. Don’t succumb to peer pressure – you are beyond that! Whatever you just described sounds pretty darned good to me – you don’t need a DD anywhere if you’ve got those to contend with.
      And yes, the dogs are already enjoying getting their golden retriever cooties all over the carpet.. lol

7. LauraJayne

Congrats on your job! You’ll do amazing and it’ll transfer into new jobs. Soon you’ll be turning them down.

I love that you are able to identify challenges and remedy them – sometimes I do, but sometimes it takes a while and I hate being unproductive. It’s the wrist when you know you aren’t being as productive as you should be, but don’t know what to do about it! That’s been the story of my life the last two days. I hate it!

It’s only temporary but I’ll take anything right now. Plus, I think it will teach me a lot, like how NOT to freak out when I have deadlines. I need to start working with more of a system, anyway.

Hi, Karen~
      I’m so sorry I’m late in responding to your very sweet comment. Thank you for your continued support of my work. That really means a lot to me -and I had to laugh at your comment about Dunkin’ Donuts. So far I’ve steered clear of that entire complex. No cravings yet!

Oh, Hanlie. Good luck to you – my thoughts will be with you; and PLEASE know that I’m here and available if you have any questions. I have learned quickly that each and every woman is different, so my experience very well may be completely different than yours. Still, I’m here :) Big hugs to you!!