Where were you a year ago?

I truly heart the many Words of Wisdom from the Wise that I’ve been receiving , lately (doesn’t that phrase just beg to be capitalized?) This here – this is one of the many reasons why I love my blog and my readers: at any given time there is someone out there who has been through similar events and can share a thing or two about how to put life back into a better perspective.

Last week I found myself feeling overwhelmed because of my slow recovery from surgery and general discontent.  Cammy from Tippy Toe Diet made a comment that I’ve been thinking about on and off all weekend:

Not only am I not who I was five years ago, I’m not who I was last week, or the week before or even yesterday. To really complicate things, today I’m not who I’ll be next year or the year after. All that’s left is to be who I am today and to try to the be the best version of that that I can be.

Nothing would help solidify Cammy’s thoughts more than reading this for myself, so today I decided to go back and revisit my posts from the last week of August, 2011.  This week last year my husband and I happened to be having necessary work done on our home.  It was in an upheaval from construction workers coming and going and I was immediately reminded about how hectic life was, how busy my household was (workers were here on and off for three months!) and how I longed for some peace and quiet.

During the week of August 27th last year I had just taken my 5th yoga class ever, and was beginning to grab a hold of my inner strength by wanting to move from beginner’s yoga to a higher level class.

Also, this time last year I was succeeding in maintaining my weight while keeping far from my scale (not an easy task).

Finally, in a post from this time last year I introduced the newest addition to my garden – Shaylee:

She was named by Tim from Fat.Boy.Thin who told me that Shaylee was Celtic for ‘Fairy Princess of the Field’.  How perfect was that?!

Fast-forward an entire year and here I am:

• sitting in a peacefully quiet home.
  • Yoga is currently on the back burner for now but I know that I will eventually get back to attending my favorite classes –  Gentle Yoga and Hot Yoga.
  • Even though it doesn’t look or feel like it due to the ebb and flow of my swollen tummy, I actually weigh less than I did this time last year.
  • Not only is Shaylee still guarding by creekside, but she has been the subject of a couple of paintings during my recovery:

This one is still on Etsy.  The other painting is being lovingly displayed in a home somewhere in Los Angeles.

I am not the same person I was last year or last week, nor should I expect to be; I will be different tomorrow than I am today.  Next year I intend to look back on my life right now and know that I will have lots of advice, support, and my own Words of Wisdom for the next person who needs it.

Do you ever read back through your blog or journal, if you have one?  What was happening in your life this time last year?

16 thoughts on “Where were you a year ago?

Ellen, what a delightful post….I do go back now and then to reread earlier posts, but this was timely. My post a year ago was insightful (for me) and served as a reminder TODAY of a goal set, but not necessarily remembered. And it may have spurred me on to action. You and I are kindred spirits right now – I haven’t had major surgery, but just don’t feel well and find my life in a “holding” pattern with which I’m showing little patience. Maybe some time revisiting and rewriting about last year’s post will help! Thanks as always.

Sorry for the late response, Sharon. I’m sorry that you aren’t feeling up to par these days. We just need to keep plugging along, actually being grateful for the knowledge that things WILL change – and for the better, as long as we continue to have patience. (((hugs)))

One of the joys of the blogging community is watching other people change and grow. You’re a wonderful example of someone who explores, evaluates, and adapts. And gracefully, too, I might add.

3. Sabrina

A year ago I was in a rough spot. I wasn’t really blogging and I couldn’t find my happiness. Luckily, with the help of a great guy all those storms passed and all around I am in a pretty fabulous place .

Sometimes it is so helpful to look back that way we can continue to look forward, but also to be thankful for where we came from.

Hi, Sabrina~
      I’m SO happy that you feel like you are in a better place now. It really puts things into perspective when we have a past ‘starting point’ to look at.
      Thank you so much for reading and commenting on this post :)

4. Flabbbergasted Mom

This time last year I weighed a bit less than I do know my hjeadspace had already begun a serious downturn that I wasn’t talking about and I don’t even know if I can accurately compare then to now.

Things are changing all of the time – sometimes without us even realizing it because it’s such a subtle thing sometimes. Maybe it’s a good thing to just inch along and re-evaluate every so often and re-assess ourselves (and hopefully be able to pick out the progress in our lives). Thanks for your comment on this topic. xo

I love what Cammy said on her blog and thank you for reposted that on your blog. I don’t go back to read what I was doing a year ago on my blog, but I do keep a journal and read last years entries. They’re fun to look back on and remember what life was like just a short year ago.

It is interesting to look back at the way things were. I have journals from when I was a teenager and those are a BIT harder to read. I find myself rolling my eyes a lot at all the drama!! lol

I love this post! It was interesting to see where I was a year ago – working hard to deal with my emotional baggage. So hard in fact that my life coach imposed a two week self-help ban. No blogging, no self-improvement, no vision boards, reading only for pleasure. It was fabulous! And it did make quite a difference in the long term in the sense that I finally found the emotional balance I’d been looking for by stepping back a bit.

Your life coach sounds like an amazing person to work with. I’m glad that stepping back a bit helped you regain some focus, Hanlie. I think its imperative that we ALL do that a few times a year for our own mental health!

Oh, paper journals I go through too. I was just telling Jan (a few comments above) that I have some when I was a teenager and OH, the drama attached to that age. I’m so happy not to have to go back to THAT again! lol