Countdown to the End of Google Friend Connect

To my wonderful, supportive Google Friend Connect Followers:

Were you aware that Google Friend Connect is eliminating their services for all non-Blogger blogs? As of March 1st, the box to the right that displays those who follow my blog will disappear, and so will my connection with all of those followers.

So, what does this mean?

Well, there are other sites out there that allow a similar service, like Linky Followers and BlogLovin’ and of course there is still the option to keep up with my posts through email subscription and RSS feed.  But before I decided what to do, I thought I’d ask all of my readers:  how do you read this blog?

• Do you visit at random, checking to see if there’s been an update when you think about it?
  • Do you follow in a reader (like Google Reader?)
  • Do you subscribe via email or RSS feed?
  • Do you link over from another blogger’s website?
  • Do you receive notices of new posts through Twitter?

Of course, Google would like to see those of us losing their service move over to Google+, which has a similar feel to Facebook.   I’m upset at the thought of losing my followers, but do not want to make a decision for an alternative solution without your input.  To my blogger friends who are not blogging through Blogger – what are you doing to prepare for Google Friend Connect’s demise?

Thank you for your thoughts on this!

~Ellen

27 thoughts on “Countdown to the End of Google Friend Connect

Thank you for letting me know, Melisa. I REALLY appreciate it. I am trying to find out if Google Reader will still be available as an option to my readers come March 1st. They are being very vague about it. Once I find out, I’ll let you know.

Thanks for letting me know, Cammy. I can’t believe I’m just finding out about this. Apparently, they ‘announced’ it in November. Not sure where I’ve been! lol

1. CD

I have you linked on my blog – and it tells me when you’ve updated. :-)

I barely have time to blog, let alone keep up with all the techie changes. bleh. >:-(

Thanks, CD. I completely agree with your frustration. I am NOT planning to move over to Google+ and have another social network to maintain, plus I don’t like being forced over to something I didn’t personally choose. I’m feisty that way. lol

2. Roxie

I all the blogs I follow set up on Google Reader. I, will, however, make whatever changes necessary to continue to follow if the reader option goes away. I am hopeful that it won’t.

Thanks for letting my know, Roxie. I wish they would be more specific, but I don’t even think THEY have all the details worked out yet. Very frustrating. And I must have been under a rock since they announced this in Nov. Last night was the first I’d heard about it.

3. Sable@SquatLikeALady

Ugh oh noooo! I just subscribe to everyone in my dashboard on Blogger. So I suppose that means I’m going to stop getting your updates (and a lot of other folks’ updates!!!) unless I subscribe via Reader….bleh. I hate Reader! Oh well.

I hope not, Sable…..but it’s possible. I can’t seem to get any concrete information from Google about what will happen. I guess we just wait and see. Thanks for letting me know how you manage your blogs. It’s helpful to know what others are doing.

4. Mary

I use Google Reader, but I usually subscribe to the blogs manually, not via Friend Connect. Google is changing a bunch of stuff right now, I need to go through and read all the blog and email related updates. :\

As soon as I heard (yesterday) I, of course, began reading about it everywhere. There aren’t very many options, unfortunately right now, but they want people who use WordPress to set up Google+ which to me, is just like FB. I don’t have time for that right now, so I’m going to keep searching for an alternative and hope that people know where to find me if I disappear off their reader. Thanks for the comment, Mary. Much appreciated.

Thank you for letting me know how you manage your blogs, Jill. I’m getting some fresh ideas just by learning about how other bloggers are doing things. Mmm…Chai Spice :)

I read all the blogs I follow via Google Reader. I didn’t know about this and feel much like the commenter who said she barely had time to blog, much less keep up with changes. Keep us posted as I’d hate to lose any of those I faithfully follow and would also hate for them to lose ME!!

Linky Followers seems to be the closest thing to Friend Connect that I’ve found. But, not everyone may want to take the time to set up another account. Many people have already taken Google Friend Connect down and begun promoting whatever other tool they will use to transition their followers over. I’m still not sure what I will do here. Luckily, I know where to find YOU, Sharon ;)

6. Denise

I also read blogs through Google Reader. When I subscribe I click on the RSS feed symbol, then select Google Reader. It does not seem to matter what format the blogger uses, and I have not had any problem subscribing to any blogs.

7. Karen@WaistingTime

Aaaack! I had no idea! Do you mind if I, ahem, plagiarize from this post. I use google reader exclusively to follow blogs but I have joined many with that little connect thing. And I have several people who have “joined” mine that way. I wonder what happens to them!? So glad you posted about this!!!

8. Cindy

I’m such a computer-user-loser! I am afraid to admit, I don’t even know what google readers or rss feeds are. I just check your page from time to time to see if you’ve posted.

Cindy the “techno dinosaur”

9. Ice Queen

I just click on blogs that pop up on my blogroll. I don’t go through my dashboard or readers or feeds or anything. I hope that my non Blogger blogs will still show up on my blogroll.

I think that what Google and Blogger are doing is stupid in the extreme and I for one hate Google+ with a velvet passion. It sucks. So hard.

*sigh* I hate change.