Memories of Vacation, and vacations past.

Have you ever been eager to share vacation photos with someone, only to have them lose interest after viewing the first hundred or so?  Well, because I adore you all, I have sorted through the least boring ones.  But first, I thought it might be fun to share a few of my more, um…strange vacation pictures from over the years.

OK, enough of that.  I was just stalling.  Turns out, my vacation photos are in fact, pretty boring – the memories are SO much better.  Here is a condensed version of what I did and saw last week:

Dead Lakes State Park was an area I would have loved to explore more of.  Supposedly, these cypress trees you see in the photo died when a flood came through the area.  This was the best photo I could get from land, however to really appreciate the beauty of this area one needs a boat, which we did not have access to.  For some stunning photos of the haunting trees in this park, go here to the site of photographer, Allen Rokach.

I do have a short video that I took, which I love and wanted to share with you.  The water along the shoreline was filled with various marine life, from stingrays to countless varieties of fish – and lots of hermit crabs.  I especially enjoyed watching them as they crawled around in the various shells they chose to inhabit and call home.  This particular crab was living in a shell that had an entire ecosystem on his back.

So, as I settle back in to my own home, I will leave you with this:

Hermit Crab on the beach

Did you notice the smaller shell attached to the left side? There was a smaller creature living in there, too!  Every lump and bump on his home had smaller marine life living inside.  Amazing.

Have a great Wednesday, everyone.  Love the home you’re in.

Ellen

16 thoughts on “Memories of Vacation, and vacations past.

1. Michele T

I can’t believe you’ve never been to the beach until now. Yes, it’s a wonderful place — a good thing to be hooked on. And this is on the gulf side, correct? The ocean side is even better in a lot of ways. I really like Ormond Beach… that’s where I go every year.

There’s a beach on the gulf side called Siesta Key that is one of the most beautiful beaches in the world. When you start visiting different beaches, you’ll see how they all have their own personality. The sand is different, the surf is different. All so beautiful and so unique… just like people.

2. Jill

Welcome home! So glad you had a great trip! I love the picture of the Dead Lakes. Hearing the water in the background of your video made me feel a moment of peace! I love the beach. Are you ready for another “unplanned” vacation? :)

Until I read Michele’s comment I didn’t realize that you’d never been to the beach! I guess I missed that. I live about 1/8 mile from the beach…you’ll have to come for a visit!

Love these photos :-) Love my home. Love that you love your home and that you’re in it right now.

4. Tim

Wow, I could never grow tired of looking at the dead lakes. The place looks so eerie but spectacular!

Loved the little crab movie. There is something about listening to the sea which is just so relaxing!

I’m pleased you enjoyed your first beach holiday. I wouldn’t recommend England if you want another beach holiday though unless you want to leave with the water with icicles attached to you!! LOL

5. Caron

What an interesting place – the Dead Lakes. I think hermit crabs are so funny with their temporary homes. Thanks for sharing the little video.

6. debby

Ellen, I LOVED the crab movie. That is amazing, and it looks like the start of a Dr. Seuss book, doesn’t it? I’m so glad you had a good time.

P.S. I had some of that Tazo tea the other night and loved it. So soothing. Thanks again.

LOVE your photos! The Dead Lakes State Park looks like an amazing place to visit. Loved the video of the crab too. What an amazing vacation!

8. Val

Remind me to take you to Caddo Lake (the only natural lake in this part of TX) if you ever make it out this way!
    & I see that snow is falling in the mountains as they prepare for the (rescheduled) Tevis ride tomorrow; makes me VERY glad I did not move heaven & earth to re-arrange MY schedule… it sounded screwy to me to push it back to Oct & I’m not even a Californian. Maybe next summer…

Love the photos! My daughter just watched the crab video with me.. thanks for that.
    That beach full of shells looks like a really good time. Will you be making seashell covered lamps or anything?

Wait. I just saw someone write that you had never been to the beach before. I am going to have to go lie down. Shocking!

I never grow tired of seeing people’s photos as long as there are some with them in them. All scenery… nice, but I like to see people even if I do not know them.

I ADORE your photos (and wish you had one of those picassa things so we could nose in to all the pictures). I especially like the one of you pointing to the waterfall and the one of you along side the kayak. You look so happy.

I hope you find a good place in your garden or in your home for your shells.

11. Pingback: Going Away to Gather a Better Perspective | Fat Girl Wearing Thin