Catching-Up

Maybe you’ve noticed that my last few posts have been sprinkled with a bit of self-awareness.  I’m not sure where this clarity came from; well, maybe I do.

Just maybe, gaining control of this anxiety-thing has quieted my mind enough to allow me the pleasure of experiencing peace and quiet for the first time in over a year.  I’m not at 100% by any stretch of the imagination, but hopefully these last few posts are allowing you to get a sense of the changes that are taking place within me.

If you happened to be up reading blogs at 4:30 on Monday morning, you may have noticed that my blog theme had been stripped bare – as in, barely working.  It took me hours to rebuild it and is still a bit wonky, but it’s slowly getting back to where it should be.  The scary thing is, I have no idea what happened so I have no way of knowing how to prevent it from happening again.  Sigh.  There is  only thing missing: all of my lovely and meaningful blog awards.  They vanished during the meltdown.  I feel like the winner of Miss Blogosphere  whose been stripped of her crown!  Hopefully, I’ll be able to retrieve the awards, as well as the details of who gave them to me and when, but for now I just have to remind myself that Vanessa Williams made quite the comeback, and so shall I!  LOL

I’m sure you’ve guessed by now that I haven’t yet gone on my first bike ride.  My husband has been working around the clock on mandatory overtime since Kayaking-Saturday almost two weeks ago.   The heat index here in the Midwest has been truly unbearable anyway.  A trip across the parking lot from my car to the grocery store has been intolerable, so learning how to ride a bike with a heat index of 110 degrees isn’t currently on my list of high demands.  I haven’t even walked the dogs; it’s just too hot.  Of course, they don’t understand that.  They just think I’m being lazy.

So, what does a girl do when she’s too unmotivated to move?  Netflix to the rescue!  I had a movie arrive that I didn’t remember putting on my queue called ‘It’s Kind of a Funny Story’.  Zach Galifianakis (The Hangover movies) was excellent.  I really enjoyed this movie.  It was funny, endearing, and I related to the storyline (for those of you who have seen it – no, not because it was set in a mental ward.)  LOL   I recommend it highly, especially if you like Focus Feature films.

Watch the Trailer

Speaking of my kayaking-Saturday, within that post I’d mentioned I had committed to three new experiences.  I shared two of them with you: the first was obviously kayaking; second was learning to ride a bike.  But I never told you what the third one was.

After we returned from paddling around at the park, we stopped at a garden center that I’d always wanted to visit.  It’s the kind of store that beckons you to come inside, with it’s row of colorful outdoor chairs sitting at attention just outside.

This store had the most unique outdoor accessories I’d ever seen, and the owners were super nice to talk to (again, reinforcing my talking to strangers behavior).  While walking around, I noticed near the front window were rows upon rows of fairy gardens.  I’d never seen a fairy garden before. Think small. There were different outdoor containers filled with potting soil and live plants including moss, hen and chicks, bonsai trees.  The fun part was looking at all of the tiny accessories decorating these miniature gardens: a watering can slightly bigger than a thimble, a gazebo no higher than 5 inches, and fairy houses that fit in the palm of your hand. Above them was a sign that read, ‘Ask About our Fairy Garden Classes!’ I did just that.  I signed up for one, too!  Again, this was totally something that I would never before have considered doing on my own.  Technically, I could use this experience as one of my comfort zone challenges, but truthfully, I don’t consider it a challenge at all.  I’m really looking forward to it!  Progress, baby!  Progress!

Class is on Friday morning.  Pictures to come.  In the meantime, if you go here you can see a very elaborate fairy garden design.  Do NOT expect mine to look anything like this.

Have a great Wednesday, everyone – and as always, thank you for all of your comments the last few days.  I haven’t been able to reply to each of you because of my blog fiasco but wanted you to know how much your comments mean to me.

XOXO,

Ellen

41 thoughts on “Catching-Up

1. roxie

Darn, that movie isn’t available for streaming – and I’m a Streamer-only kinda woman. Darn it! I had another second to your recommendation on my blog.

Your class looks very fun and interesting. You are so artistic that I know your stuff will be fab!

Keep a watch for it, Roxie. It’s not a new film; maybe it will come to streaming sometime soon. If I see that it does, I’ll let you know.

2. Jill

I just added the movie to my queue! Love Zach!! I can’t wait until it cools down and you learn to ride! I am hoping you love it like I do! Then we can compare bike stories!!!!!! I love the pictures of your dogs!! I am a golden lover!

I have just started appreciating him and am finding that I like him more and more. He is brilliant in this film. I hope you like it, Jill.
      I’ll be more than happy to share biking stories – hopefully none that starts with the sentence, ‘there was so much blood!’ lol

3. Sable@SquatLikeALady

How have I never heard of this movie?! Hm.

Your pups look exhausted!! haha! Can’t blame ‘em I guess! :)

With this heat, all they do is lay in front of our window air conditioner. When they’re inside, they want out. As soon as they get out, they want in. Dogs!!

4. Tim

Years ago there used to be a house on the way to my grandmother’s house who’s garden was basically turned into a miniture coastal village. It had stone cottages, a pub, lighthouse, shops, little people wandering the streets and they used plants to look like trees, moss for fields and various water features. Unfortunately it’s not there anymore, I expect the owner is long gone but it used to look amazing. I wish camera mobiles were around back then!

Good luck with your class, sounds like fun!

That sounds SO cool, Tim. I kind of feel like a kid again, looking around for miniature things to go in my garden. I had no idea these things were so popular but around here they really are, I guess. We’ll see how well I do at it.

5. Vickie

I walked into Hobby Lobby a couple weeks ago and a display, 2 story, old fashioned doll house was on sale for $100 (regularly $400). I bought it. I have a lot of doll house furniture in attic (once it cools down enough to get in attic). Girls and I are going to decorate it (flooring, walls). The outside is all done, and very cute. I have always wanted one. Your fairy garden reminded me of that same feeling.

Wow! What a good price! I was just at HL and bought a couple of things for my ‘garden’: a couple of pieces of picket fencing and a few garden tools. I am really finding this a lot of fun; it really brings out the kid in you (I imagine you’re feeling the same way.)

ooh, I love the fairy garden site! We’re constantly building fairy dwellings around here and could use some new inspiration.
    And, yeah for you!!!
    Sorry about the blog troubles. I did see it. I thought you just went into a mood. For a while I made my whole blog black and it was peaceful to me. Anyway, I was glad to see the red and your self portrait back!

Teresa, the word around the gardening center was that this is HUGE with little girls as well as boys. How much fun for you and your daughter to do this. I am having a great time just searching for mini furniture for my garden. I couldn’t find a table and chairs so I made them out of flat stones and hot glue. Email me if you have any advice or words of wisdom that I should know about!

Love the upbeat report about the anxiety issues. So happy something is finally taking hold. Here’s hoping for continued progress!

thank you, Sharon. I’m hopeful yet still cautious – but cautious in a hopeful way. lol That made no sense….you know what I mean ;)

8. Michele

This sounds very very interesting. I look forward to hearing about the people in the class, the content of the class, and your photos.

It’s never 100% and that’s okay :-) I’m glad you’re having good, quality stretches of time that allow you some awareness and peace.

You know what? I’ve always hated gardening, but those fairy gardens look like a lot of fun! Kinda like combining gardening with scrapbooking (although I don’t do that either LOL!)

Thank you, Karen. I’m relieved for these stretches of time, believe me.
      This mini gardening thing is really relaxing and reminds me of imaginary play when I was a kid. I’m enjoying it and I haven’t even planted anything yet. These things can get quite elaborate and expensive, but I’m making a lot of my things from stuff I have laying out in the yard. I just hope the plants survive!

10. Val

Z & I saw IKAFS when it had a short run at our specialty movie house (there are advantages to being “close enuff” to Big D) – we lurves us our Galifianakis!

He is such a great actor, isn’t he, Val? He doesn’t get near enough credit. I think people who don’t like movies like The Hangover are too easy to dismiss him and then miss out when he does more serious films. I love Focus Films anyway, so…

11. Greg (Transformed and Scaled)

I hear you on the heat. It’s pretty brutal here too, although you have it worse right now. Good luck getting the blog back up to the way you want it. Sometimes WordPress is a pain in the you know what, isn’t it?
    Oh, and my wife would totally be into that fairy garden thing, if only we had more room. Have fun with that!

My husband has to work outside in this heat, so I try not to complain too much, but the last couple of days it feels like you’re being suffocated the second you step outside. Not fun.
      btw, my garden container is like, only 14 inches in diameter. They can be pretty small and still work, says the class instructor. Sunlight is really the key, I guess. especially for wintertime, unless you’re lucky enough to live where it doesn’t snow (which unfortunately, does NOT apply to me).

12. Michele

Yes, we have had a high heat index in the Midwest. Hopefully it is gone tomorrow. I hope you do get out on a bike. It is the most wonderful exercise.

I’m so sorry about your surprise website crash. What a huge bummer! So glad you got most of it back. I can’t imagine. Ugh!

So excited (and proud of you) for signing up for the “Fairy Garden” class. I can’t wait to hear about it and see pictures. How fun! What a great way to get lost in a day. Have fun!

14. Roz

Hi Ellen. Big AWWWW to the pup picture. And grrr for the website crash. You may have lost your awards, but you will NEVER lose your Miss Blogosphere crown!! :) Have a great day.

15. munchberry

A quiet mind. Finally a movement towards bliss. A fairy garden seems like just the thing!

I saw that movie recently myself. Liked it! Thanks for the teehaw self deprecation about tyhe mental hospital. It gave me a good snorty.

Your pups look to comfy to move.

Slow but steady. Fairy gardening does sound peaceful, doesn’t it? Dogs have been driving me up the wall today. Perhaps I do need a break in a nice, pup-free mental ward. This heat has us all locked up together much too close for comfort!

16. Tami@nutmegnotebook

That stinks that you site crashed! My computer crashed yesterday and I felt really cut off from the world! Funny how we so attached to the blog sphere.

Your fairy garden sounds like a great project!

Stay cool!

I felt totally disconnected, even though I was still able to post. Having my theme stripped was like having a bunch of people over to my house without having cleaned up first. I scrambled around to get things in order, but it sure took a while.
      Have a good night, Tami.

17. LauraJayne

I always get so panicky when things go “wonky” with my blog, and I think I usually make them worse! Like two weeks ago, when the server went down – before I found out that they were migrating servers, I freaked out and made all of these changes that I had to go back and reverse to even make my blog live again! It’s amazing to me how much I rely on my blog and how I feel at the possibility that it (and all of my posts) might disappear!

I remember that, Laura. I came by to read and it said something like it had been disabled! I got all worried!
      I know what you mean about becoming dependent on your blog. It’s like a working novel in a way, you know? Losing it would be like losing months of writing….well, it IS like losing months of writing!

18. Sarah

Hi, I’m a new reader, but your blog is awesome! I love all of the different topics in your posts. They’re not just about one thing and that’s great. I would love to have a Faery Garden, but unfortunately city living doesn’t allow. :(
    -Sarah