To Post, or Not to Post

When I don’t have anything particularly interesting to write, I sometimes wonder whether I should post, or just let you all have a little break and move on to another blog that has something a bit more enticing to read.  I thought about waiting until something came to me but who knows how long this dry spell will last, so today will be short and sweet so you know I’m still here, despite the fact that I’m not feeling very inspirational these days.

So, what do people do when they have nothing in particular to say?  Why, show photos of babies or animals, of course.  Here’s Bru drying off on our deck after a romp in the creek that runs behind our home:

The orange thing he has in his mouth is a device used to train dogs to bring back game from the water.  Brulee uses it as his chew toy and carries it around with him everywhere.

A quick update on Emmie: we took the dogs to a dog park for the first time on Monday.  This was her first time in a wide open space off leash.  You should have seen her run!  The funny thing is, she knew where she wanted to run to, but she had no idea how to stop.  She ended up running into a couple of people and quite a few dogs before learning how to apply those doggie brakes.  It was a sight was watch.

Last week I mentioned in my Life with Anxiety post that I was starting a new medication.  Today is day five on this new med; sadly, I don’t think this is the right one for me.  The side effects have been quite unpleasant including rapid heartbeat and insomnia, both of which has left me so tired over the past several days I haven’t exercised once since last week aside from my daily walks with the dogs.  That’s something though, right?

Finally, I received two very special blog awards this past week.  The first one is from my friend Michele over at Healthy Cultivations and the second is from Kelliann at Life in Crisis, I Mean Fitness… Thank you so much for thinking of my blog enough to pass along these awards.  I’m very grateful, and will work on an award post in the near future.

So, what’s new with you?

26 thoughts on “To Post, or Not to Post

1. Karen@WaistingTime

Sorry the new meds are not working:( I got up today, knowing I had published a post overnight while I slept, and thinking…”I said I might not post as often so why do I still feel I need to keep to a schedule and wouldn’t life be easier some days if I just let it go…” and so on. Summer would be a great time to slow down blogging for a bit, me thinks.

Not only is it a good time, but I’m finding it to be a necessity, Karen. This winter was much too brutal to stay inside if we don’t have to. I think my nagging feeling to post comes from the fact that I don’t want to lose readers, nor do I want to lose touch with them (I tend to read blogs right after I post). It is ME who’s hardest on me; I really don’t think that blogging less will affect it too awful much as long as I don’t abandon it for days and days without explanation. I hate going to blogs only to see that the person I love to read has been gone for over a month. I worry!!

2. Vickie

the streets of blog land are pretty emtpy these days.

I am a nearly 365 days a year blogger, we are a very rare breed. and honestly I don’t think everyone should try to be a 365 days a year blogger. they often end up being a disappeared blogger by trying for too muc)

I think there is a fine line between too much and not enough in most everything we do. I have seen newbie bloggers start schedules which are difficult to maintain long term. I also think there is a parallel between lack of focus and dwindling blog posts.

very glad you posted.

Vickie, you are my cornerstone :)
      I think wintertime has everyone needing to get out more. I’m finding that I’m so much more busy now that it’s warmer outside. I still remember an email you sent to me – a link to someone elses blog who was giving it up because it was becoming too overwhelming. At the time I was blogging 6 days a week. I think we newbies are like teenagers who think we ‘know it all’. The grownups tell us that we’re doing too much, but until we find it out for ourselves, we feel like we can handle the constant grind.

3. Michele

I comment alot on posts when I have nothing new to add. I also like to post lots of pictures. Sorry your meds are not working quote right, yet.

Thank you, Michele. Working on fixing the med situation. Seems like a lot of people are having the same problem I am about finding things to write about. I don’t know why this is. I mean, in the wintertime I’m stuck inside freezing half to death. That’s the time when I should have nothing to say! Summer should bring lots of things to talk about, you’d think.

4. Kimberly Greenlee

Imagining Emme running into people and dogs made me laugh, but suddenly it made me cry. I am so thankful she has you, Ellen. It’s so sad to think of a beautiful creature like Emme stuck in a cage and never learning how to run. That is just a right for dogs, and I’m so glad she has that right again with you. I know she can’t tell you, so I’m going to. You saved her life and gave her one worth living. Thank you from Emme.

I think it might be time to try another med. A week is too long without sleep. I have sleepy time tea and Ambien. Let me know if you want either one.

Thanks, Kim. She really is a special dog. It was both funny and sad at the same time, but she was having so much fun I couldn’t help but laugh. We’ll have to meet at that dog park sometime. Everyone is so friendly there!

They are making me more anxious, Karen. I really despise trying new meds. Can get quite frustrating. This is my 5th round over the past few months. Hopefully something will work with my body soon!

Please don’t be afraid to contact your doctor to let them know that your new meds aren’t working for you. What works for one person may not work for another and there are a lot of other options out there that may be the one for you.

Posts with Brulee and Emmie are always good posts! :)

Thank you Jenn. This is my 5th round of tryout meds over the last few months and I’m getting frustrated. Something is bound to work, though. Just have to keep trying! (and thank you for reading!)

6. Greg (Transformed and Scaled)

I feel you on the “I can’t think of anything to post” thing. Those days my blog just becomes a series of lists, not terribly interesting. Over the last couple of weeks that’s what it became, barring minor insights into my workouts. I’m trying get used to the idea that I don’t have to post something everyday, an idea that it seems half the other bloggers I read are getting around to as well. I don’t want it to become an obsessive behaviour for me.
    Sorry to hear about your meds, Ellen. I hope you find something that works for you.

I know exactly what you mean. I don’t know why we put so much pressure on ourselves to put out A+ posts all of the time. It’s really an unrealistic expectation. I’m always afraid that I will lose touch with readers if I don’t post often. Guess we need to realize that there will be ones who’ll stick with us through thick or thin (I’ll certainly see you through clear to the end!) despite what we post. Just promise you won’t abandon your blog without letting the rest of us know what’s going on – that happens to too many bloggers that I really enjoy reading and then I worry….and I already have anxiety, you know – I don’t need any more!! LOL

I’m not posting all that often either, purely because a blog post takes time and I don’t have a lot of it right now… But I’m working on it!

No worries, Hanlie. Every blog has seen droughts now and then. The important thing is that you let your readers know what’s happening with you when you aren’t blogging. That way we don’t worry about you!

Aw, Cammy. XOXO to you! Promise to:
      a) never bore you with a grocery list even though you’ll read it, and
      b) always post a photo of the dogs if worse comes to worse.

8. Roz

Hi Ellen, Damn, sorry the new meds aren’t doing the trick. Hang in there, hope they have a plan “b”. LOVE the photo of Bru and the story of the lovely Emme in the dog park. Awwww. Take care of yourself!!!!! Your posts are ALWAYS inspirational!!!

9. Marsial2010

Ellen, I know I don’t have to tell you this, but if the meds aren’t working, try more behavior modification and relaxation methods. I never went on meds for my anxiety when I was younger — and I had some pretty extreme panic attacks. What happened is that my anxiety increased so badly that I became incapable of getting on an airplane anymore — which was very tough because I had to occasionally fly as part of my job. Our company sponsored an Employee Assistance program with skilled counselors, and since I was the Employee Relations Manager, I dealt with these people administratively. One day they brought a new counselor to my office for me to meet, and I liked her so much that I revealed to her over lunch the problems I was having. She suggested that I start coming for counseling, so that is what I did. I went twice a week — I think for 5 or 6 months. From her, I learned extraordinary relaxation techniques — after only a few sessions she was able to get me into a near hypnotic state. Then, in that state she began to gently probe about possible reasons for my anxiety. And there were defintely reasons. Once I was aware of them, I began to learn how to deal with the sources of the problems. Ellen, I was just about your age when I began to figure some of this stuff out. It was such a shock to me that I could live that long without having seen the truth about certain things. Of course, it still took a few more years of hard work to change my behavior and certain people’s relationships with me, but the anxiety disappeared and I’m a (usually) calm person now. I also want to add that if you are still having menses, your hormones may be responsible for uncomfortable behavior.

And about posting or not posting, you will note from my blog that I don’t post often anymore, nor do I always talk about weight and health. I’m trying to branch out and be a more threee-dimensional person by talking about other things that interest me. I love it when other bloggers do this — like when you talk about your Mom, dogs, husband or work. It makes me see YOU! Sometimes when I only get a couple of comments, I get a little discouraged. Then I ask who I’m blogging for. It is really for me. I’m so grateful that anyone reads my posts, and I’m even more appreciative when they leave thoughtful comments, but mostly I like the sporadic journal my blog has become for myself.

Big bummer about your meds. I wonder if there is another, different acting med that might work better.

About your blog. I think people will come and check in because you write about yourself honestly and interestingly. You do not need to write every day. What if you darn well do not feel like it? You would be very surprised (I think) to find that other people enjoy hearing about what you perceive as mundane things in life. In fact, put the right way, I think they are more interesting. Lord knows you do not want to have floods and house fires all the time just so you can have a little verve on the blogosphere! Plus, people can get to know you better. Can’t very well get to know Ellen if she is just about “I did not eat candy today”. I enjoy coming here because you are not that.

Man I can ramble!

So glad you saved the turtle.