Pedometer for the Shoe?

When I first made the decision to begin losing weight, I went out and bought a pedometer. It was an Omron and I could clip it on my belt or stick it in my pocket. Not always convenient because on occasion the clip would shimmy it’s way off my belt and drop onto a hiking trail, leaving me reduced to retracing my steps until I’d find it lying amidst wood chips and poison ivy. Worse yet, there was the time where I watched it bounce around the floor of a public bathroom (yes, into the next stall) while trying to adjust my pants (I can sense the chill up your spine, fellow germaphobes!)  If the thing had gone into the toilet, my days of wearing a pedometer may have been completely over.

Even though I loved wearing a pedometer I didn’t want to have to worry about carrying a one on my hip, in my purse, in my pocket or anywhere else. I wanted to wear a pedometer where it made the most sense to me: on my shoe. They make those, right?

Apparently, they do!

It’s called a shoe odometer and Amazon had them for sale before I left for vacation last month. Sadly, now they’re out of stock, and according to the maker’s website the company is now out of business.  I thought this idea was brilliant because not only can you forget the thing altogether but you can also use it to log how many miles you’ve used your shoes and can therefore keep better track of when you need to start searching for a new pair.

So, I am still on the search.  I think I’d like to begin wearing one again but it’s been years since I’ve bought one. I’m sure they must make them with more bells and whistles than mine has.  Nike carries something similar but I believe it’s specifically geared towards running than general step counting. Does anyone own one of these or something similar to this idea?   Are there other shoe pedometers out there that I just don’t know about?

18 thoughts on “Pedometer for the Shoe?

1. Mary

I have the Nike+ sensor – there’s a pedometer setting! You can also set it for walking instead of running for a more accurate calorie count, too. I got it for Christmas but still haven’t used it because I don’t have Nike+ shoes (you can attach the sensor to any shoe with velcro, I’ve just been too distracted and forgetful), but I use the Nike+ compatible treadmills at the gym, so I can plug my iPod right into the treadmill, set it for running, and it records all the data. Pretty cool!

1. Greg (Transformed and Scaled)

Mary, there are companies that make clips to attach the sensor to your shoelaces. A friend of mine has one and it works well. Not sure where you’d get one in the states. I love the tracking the Nike+ site does with your runs as well, and the challenges are great. As long as you have an iPod you’re set. Myself, I used sticky velcro sewn to the tongue of the shoe, under the laces, and stuck to the back of the sensor. Worked really well.

Ellen, I can’t remember if the Nike+ will do step counting, but you can calibrate it to both running and walking, and it gives fairly accurate distance measurements.

2. vickie

not a stats/numbers person – so no help from here.

Interesting post – would not have thought about tracking to know when to buy new shoes (good idea) nor attaching to shoe. (And I have never understood how those things interpret movement into counting steps.)

I think, in the beginning, when one is just trying to get off the couch, the idea of counting steps is really good (Dr Oz’s 10,000 steps a day, if I am remembering the right total). But later on, one thing that I wonder about is the fact that the intensity of the steps/effort is not taken into account. (Or is it? If they can count motion as a step, maybe they count intensity too. or maybe that is the body bug thing.) A waitress takes a lot of steps and has a lot of wear and tear and her body, but it isn’t effective exercise because the intensity isn’t there.

3. NewMe

I’ve tried several makes of pedometers over the past few years. I’m not looking for bells and whistles, just something that counts my steps fairly accurately. The best one that I’ve found is the house brand at a Canadian pharmacy chain, Shoppers Drug Mart. It’s not perfect, but it’s pretty good. If you’d like one, just send me an e-mail and we’ll make arrangements for me to get one for you.

I really like the idea of a pedometer that you attach to your shoe, but I’ve never seen one. Also, it looks like it’s designed for running shoes, and since my main form of exercise is walking and I’m not always wearing running shoes, this doesn’t seem ideal for me.

The thing about successful pedometer use is that you have to be wearing the right clothing. I have found that my pedometer is most accurate when I’m wearing pants that sit right at my waist (hip huggers need not apply) and are neither too tight nor too loose.

And yes, I too have seen my pedometer go skittering off on the toilet floor. Fortunately, I’m not *too* germophobic!

4. Ice Queen

What a shame that is no longer available because it is frakking brilliant! I would love a pedometer for my shoe. :D

I own a clip on Omron pedometer. It is okay, gives a good ballpark on distance and counts my steps. I have a clip on leash for it so if the belt/waistband clip fails or it slips off, the leash keeps it from being lost.

Amazon carries pedometer leashes and they are extremely affordable. Maybe that would help until you find the pedometer of your dreams? :)

I don’t know where to find that shoe pedometer, but what a great idea!! I hope you find one.
    I’m so glad to find your blog (through Karen/waisting time). I love your design, it’s beautiful and I can’t wait to read more. I need inspiration right now…

6. Tim

I’ve dropped mine in the toilet, it’s skidded across the gym changing room floor towards people changing, it’s got wet in the rain and I seem to drop it more times than i’ve had hot dinners. Thankfully it still works perfectly and records my steps accurately. I love my Sportline 345 Step/Distance and Calorie Pedometer! :)

Saying that, I do find it quite annoying sometimes having it on certain trousers but i’ve worn it so often that I kinda forget most of the time that it’s there.

7. Tim

I just read your comment on my blog. My legs are pretty solid now and they’re stronger than ever. I’ve always had pretty strong legs though cos I used to play football (soccer) and rugby quite a lot.

My C25K has kind of come to a halt. I completed week 5 day 2 which was 2 sets of 8 minute runs but day 3 is a straight 20 minute run and I really dont think I am ready yet. I plan to give it a go on Friday/Saturday though just in case it’s just doubts.

Well, let me tell you, it is very sobering when you see that you have 25 minutes ahead of you with no breaks. Just go at your own pace and do it when you’re ready. I have to keep telling myself this, too. It’s not like I’m training for a marathon or anything, so I don’t have to stick with their schedule. Besides, we want to get through it, not run FROM it, right? We’ll get there!

8. LoriV.

I was going to suggest the Nike+ as well, but I think you have to have the arm band or ipod to pair it with. Garmin also makes a foot pod for keeping track, paired with a watch (FR60). Both of these options are geared more for an actual workout (recording miles) more than something to be worn all day for tracking steps. Sorry I’m of no help for an actual pedometer.

9. Christiana

Thanks for this post. We have been looking for a good show pedometer for my husband. He has trouble with waistband pedometer because of his size. Now that I know more I feel like I can go out and find him one that will work for his shoes.

10. LuWanda

I have one that you can clip on to your shoe. The only problem I have, and I can’t seem to find an answer anywhere, is since it is on only one shoe… it is not recording the stride of the other foot. So, am I correct in that I have to double the steps counted on the monitor in order to get the proper step-count reading? This pedometer can be worn on the belt as well, but my jelly roll kept hitting the reset button. My apologies if this sounds stupid of me, but when I was just counting steps before I purchased the pedometer, I was counting “each” foot’s steps. Was I correct in doing this? Any help would be greatly appreciated.