A couple of useful websites

Know what I learned yesterday?

My blog friends will listen to me whine and complain when I’m sick and not one of them will say, ‘Suck it up, you big wimp.’

Thank you.

My blog friends will ignore comments about my nasty hair and less than stellar hygiene and instead offer words of support and encouragement.

Again, thank you.

I’m starting to feel like this blog is an ongoing broadcast of useless news updates:

You’re watching Day Eight of Ellen’s Massive Shut-in!

Has she found her way back to health?    Will she ever wash her hair?  Stay tuned!

Vickie checked in on me this morning and I wrote back, ‘I feel better but not enough to really mean it.’ I am going to throwing class tonight; at least for the demonstration.  So, I will be making my way out of the house today which means that yes, I’m washing my hair (my husband must be secretly thanking the gods for that one.)

While I’ve been sick I’ve been away from the computer as well, except when I can’t sleep at night.  That’s when I usually surf around and if I’m lucky I’ll find something of interest.  This week I’ve come across a couple of completely unrelated but interesting websites that I thought I’d share:

The first one is called Earndit and you need to head over there if you use one of the following services: Nike+, a Fitbit, FourSquare, EveryTrail or a Garmin Connect.  Basically, you’re awarded points for exercising and can use those points for things like nutrition bars, giftcards, apparel, tea and some other cool stuff.  I don’t use any of the above services but love the concept – and who doesn’t love free stuff?  Oh!  I scanned over the FAQ’s and you can use this service even if you don’t live in the US (you may have to meet certain requirements though, so check on that).

The second site is called InfoZooms and if you like finding information quickly and in list-form, you might check it out. Topics vary from Ten Ways to Exercise Outside of the Gym to 11 Rules to Work Smarter Not Harder.  What makes this site interesting is that it’s interactive: you can push the most useful info to the top of the list and even add to it if you like. I’ve used this site a couple of times now to help with blogger’s block.  Sometimes just scanning the lists has triggered an idea for a post.

Have a great Wednesday, everyone.  Stay healthy.  If your hair needs washed, just do it already.

19 thoughts on “A couple of useful websites

1. Michele @ Healthy Cultivations

The thing is — it’s those blatantly honest truths like not washing hair for too long that keeps readers coming back. It’s real and raw. We’ve all been there, but it’s the kind of thing no one is supposed to talk about. You go there!

You’re a true friend, Karen. I’m just glad no one has asked how many days it’s actually BEEN since I’ve washed my hair. I’d be too ashamed to answer that question.

2. Joy

Funny ~ most times I write on my Blog, I’m a sweaty mess. Usually I write just after my workout. So glad no one sees me! Yikes!!

So glad you are starting to feel better! Take good care of yourself!!

3. Tami@nutmegnotebook

Hope you are better soon! Must have been some nasty virus. Rarely am I sick enough to not shower but the last virus I had kept me on the couch and I skipped taking shower and putting on make-up! My family knew then that I was very ill!! LOL never do I go without make-up- ever!

I just launched my new and improved blog, hope you will stop by and take a look!

4. LauraJayne

I try to only wash my hair once every 3-4 days. Since I’m only day 3, I think I’ll try to stretch it until Friday. Unlike you, I don’t have an excuse, I’m simply lazy.

Hope you start feeling better. But don’t wash your hair just because you feel like you “have” to. Tell them that you are using your natural oils to rejuvenate your hair follicles. Your real friends will stick around despite the smell… =)

I am physically and mentally unable to go 24 hours without a shower and washing my hair. I get totally distraught. You know those movies where they have some kind of adventure that lasts for days and they can’t bath or shower? I start itching on their behalf! Clearly, I have issues.

I hope you get better soon!

6. Karen Ogle

I’m glad to hear you are feeling better, Ellen. I know I would be pretty sick before I would let my hair go unwashed for a while. I just FEEL better with clean hair. You must be excited about getting out for a while. :)

7. Val

THANKS ever so much, FRIEND!!! (as if I don’t waste enough time already in cyberspace)

No, seriously, cyber friends are the best! (but I live down here in sweaty Texas; I can’t sleep w/out showering off)

You crack me up! I think we’ve all been there at some point in our lives and have serious empathy for you (which is why we could care less about your hair being washed or what you smell like). LOL! I keep reading because you I always end up with a smile on my face (either agreeing with you about something, laughing at what you said, or simply feel a sense of “ah” because you’ve said something profound). I’m just glad you feel well enough to still have your sense of humor. I can’t wait to tune in tomorrow to Ellen’s Massive Shut In (day 9). :)