The Search is over! I’ve found Peanut-Butter Bliss!

Chocolate cake mix with a can of Diet Dr. Pepper?  Brownies made with black beans?  Seriously?

If you’ve had either of those two concoctions then you know how yummy they are, regardless of the strange ingredient list.  Earlier this week while reading Eat, Run, Have Fun! the always wonderful Amalfi Girl posted another intriguing and wonderfully unique recipe that she originally found at The Wannabe Chef.  It is called Dessert Hummus and the photo Amalfi posted looked heavenly.  Go on over and just look at it;  forget the ingredient list for a second; tell me it doesn’t make your mouth water!

As soon as I saw the words ‘peanut’ and ‘butter’ I knew I’d be making whatever it was that very day.  You all know from this post that I’ve been long searching for a peanut butter substitute because it is sadly one of my trigger foods (which means that I could easily eat half a jar in one sitting if I made up my mind to!) I longed for something that tasted like peanut butter but without the shocking 180-200 calories per serving, which is just 2 tablespoons.  I have tried Better ‘N Peanut Butter, PB2, FitNutz; sadly, nothing really seemed to do the trick.

Until now.

I am thrilled to report that I am in LOVE with this marvelous creation.  I tweaked it a bit to better suit my needs but I would never have even considered this concoction without Amalfi’s coaxing.  Below is my version of Dessert Hummus:

1 can of chickpeas, drained, rinsed and peeled
1/4 cup of natural peanut butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/4 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 cup of sugar free pancake syrup

Mix above ingredients together in a blender.  Two tablespoons per serving (makes 11 servings). Calories:  50

This is one of those recipes that you can modify to your heart’s content and make it your own.  As the above recipe stands, mine tastes pretty mild but as you can see, with only 50 calories per serving you can add more peanut butter or other nut butter until the taste is just right for you.  Next time I will use 2 tablespoons of peanut butter and two tablespoons of Nutella (and maybe add some mini-chocolate chips). And of course I suggest you go to Evan’s blog, grab the original recipe and begin reading that blog right away.  That man in a genius!

Don’t let the ingredients keep you from trying this recipe.  I’ve gotta tell you, I have found my peanut butter substitute.  This. is. IT!

34 thoughts on “The Search is over! I’ve found Peanut-Butter Bliss!

1. Helen

I always get a kick out of people who get excited by peanut butter. My mom and sister are like that, but not me. I mean, I’ll eat it but the only way is to take a teeny bit and put it on a banana or apple.

You (as did my mom and sis) would LOVE the chocolate peanut butter cupcakes that were part of my birthday. Photo on my blog today, they’re the ones with the star on top.

BTW, you DO NOT suck. Not ever.

2. Amalfi Girl (EatRunHaveFun!)

Helen, I’m with Ellen in that I also get excited about peanut butter! I could easily eat an entire jar full, spoon by spoon covered with real whipped cream. To me, that tastes like a Friendly’s reeces PB cup sundae. This dip + FF cool whip = just as good! :)

3. The Fat Mom

I’m not a huge peanut butter fan. I could take it or leave it. BUT I do have moments where I want to/need to have it.

Speaking of weird concoctions – have you tried 1 cup ketchup, 1 can diet coke (I like the one with lime), and chicken breast. It’s called Cola Chicken and it’s huge in the Weight Watcher world. I love it, my kids love it, and even hubby requests that I make it.

Now, that one I’ve never heard of before. It sounds really interesting, though. I have some chicken that I’ve been saving in the freezer. I think I may use it for that – I’ll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the tip!

I do hope you like it if you decide to use it. It’s really unusual but pretty amazing – especially for the calories!

4. Tami@nutmegnotebook

I saw something like this on the Weight Watchers board, but I think it was peanut butter mixed with light cream cheese so your recipe would be healthier and less calories!

I just might have to try this. Thanks for sharing a unique recipe.

Oh have you seen the little individual packets of peanutbutter and almond butter? I buy them at Whole Foods and they are perfect for travel or if these foods are a trigger and you need just a little nut butter for a recipe.

5. Tim

Wahey! Well done for finding your substitute. I still cannot see the appeal with peanut butter but I did try some the other day and it wasn’t as bad as I expected it to be. I had a bite of a muffin/cupcake which was based on Elvis Presley’s favourite food ingredients peanut butter & banana. It was weird but it kinda worked I guess. Will I have peanut butter again? Probably not!! :P

Hi, Natalia. I wondered that myself, but it’s really easy. All you do is rinse really well and then barely pinch each chickpea and the skin slips right off (and if you’re not careful, will shoot the chickpea off like a weapon! lol) Peeling isn’t necessary, but it makes the dessert hummus creamier. I hope you like it!

I saw this over on Amalfi Girl’s site and printed the recipe out…am going to make it over the weekend as a dip for graham crackers when my stepdaughter is over…we’ll see how we like it. I tried the black bean brownie recipe and found it trés icky. But I like hummus so this might just be the ticket!!

My husband immediately noticed the black beans in my brownies – but only because I didn’t puree them enough and he got an actual black bean – kind of ruined it for him! lol

I can tell you the exact texture: it’s the same as regular hummus. It isn’t stick-to-the-roof of your mouth yummy like peanut butter. When my husband tried it he said that he would have liked it better had I not even mentioned the words peanut butter. He had it in his head that it would be just like it and it isn’t, really.
      Now, having said that – I only added 1/4 cup of natural peanut butter into the recipe. If you are watching calories, you could play with the stats and add quite a bit more to give it a more ‘peanut buttery’ consistency. Greg, if you do try it, play around with recipe and get something great, I’d love to hear about it.

7. Mary

I made this a couple weeks ago! So delicious. I put mini chocolate chips in mine too, and ate it with apple slices. Peeling the chickpeas totally makes a difference, it was so creamy and delicious! I told everyone at work about it and they’re making me bring some to the next staff lunch!

8. Kristen

if i had chick peas i would be making this right now. OMG it looks so yummy. I decided not to buy peanut butter this week to keep me from a binge fest. thanks for sharing!

9. Joy

Interesting. It’s amazing what people come up with. Fortunately I can do without peanut butter. Every once in a while I like it with apples or on an english muffin with honey. Now that is GOOD!

Keep focused!!

10. LauraJayne

Since my sugar detox, I have actually been eating peanut butter out of the jar – as my dessert replacement! I’m loving all-natural no sugar added versions where you actually “make” your own in the store!

I love anything peanut butter flavored, so I’m definitely going to give this a try!

That is a good question! It’s great on graham crackers, bagels, english muffins or apple slices; I mostly like it right off the spoon, though.
      Evan from The Wannabe Chef (who created the recipe) recently posted a snickerdoodle version with almond butter, cinnamon and brown sugar. Mine is a little less sweet but still has that peanut butter taste, but if you want to go all-out dessert style, just add a bit more sweetener of your choice. Thanks for your comment and if you do make it, I hope you like it :)

11. Dani

gosh you’re maing me want to run for the jar of PB right now. Why do a lot of us formerly overweight ladies have a thing for PB????

Thanks for the welcoem back, and I DOOO feel GREAT!

12. Shantell

Not to sound like a downer but Ellen you eat the strangest things…lol But whatever floats your boat. I am happy you found a sub for peanut butter!

No, you don’t sound like a downer! Lately, before dinnertime my husband has been sitting down and ASKING what is in the food before eating it. Maybe he thinks I’m going to add sticks and twigs to his meal! lol

13. Pingback: Sugar and Sugar Substitutes | Fat Girl Wearing Thin

Oh, I hope you love it as much as I do. If you go to the original website of The Wannabe Chef, you can search for variations like Snickerdoodle, which is just as wonderful!