My month-long hula-hooping experiment

Well, it has been almost a month since I started my hula-hooping experiment.  I have been hooping faithfully for 20 minutes a day since January 7th, take away 4 days for not feeling well.  When I posted my two-week progress post I mentioned that I would be giving an update on my measurements.  I can happily report that I have lost 1/2 of an inch around my hips.  My waist and my stomach measurements haven’t budged, but hey – a half inch still isn’t bad, right?  I honestly don’t attribute that loss on any other exercise, either.  I’ve been measuring my hips, waist and stomach for ages and my hips have always been stuck on the same number.  Hula-hooping is the only thing I can think of that would have caused a loss in that area because that’s where I’ve been targeting that exercise.  So, overall I’m pretty pleased.

Several posts ago I also mentioned that I’d checked out a hula-hooping dvd from the library called Hoopnotica:  Hoopdance Basics for Beginners:

If you are a true beginner – as in, are unable to get the hoop to stay on your hips then you would benefit from this dvd.  Among other things, this dvd explains the following:

• How to keep the hoop moving around your middle.
  • How to move the hoop up and down your torso in a fluid motion.
  • How to turn in a circle while hula-hooping.
  • Also, how to side-step and spin around while hooping.
  • Beginning tricks used for hoopdancing.
  • Also, after each lesson a troubleshooting guide if it’s ‘just not working’.

There are other dvds as well although I haven’t seen any of them.  I would imagine they are more advanced and incorporate dance routines using the hula-hoop.  Truthfully, at this moment I’m completely satisfied just doing an occasional spin and side-stepping while using my hoop.  If I should ever decide to join a band of gypsies and tour North America for money then I may decide to mix up my routine a bit.  Until then, I’m good.

Final Review:

It’s still easy, still fun and still doesn’t feel like exercise even after a month of use.  I’ve leveled off my calorie burn, which is still around 76 calories per 20 minute session and I’ve lost 1/2 an inch.  By the way, my stomach muscles are a lot tighter than they were but I cannot say if the hoop contributed to that (although I’m sure it didn’t hurt any) because I’ve been doing a lot of core work the last couple of months.

Overall, not bad for a $26 investment.  I’d recommend this exercise for anyone who is recovering from an injury and/or needs low impact exercises for a specific reason however, make sure to ask your doctor first if this would be all right as part of your exercise routine.

28 thoughts on “My month-long hula-hooping experiment

1. Karen Ogle

I’m scared. I could never do it as a kid. It was a source of disappointment for me, however, I find the idea intriguing and will give it some more thought. It looks fun if I could just DO it. :)

2. Ali

The DVD looks brilliant. My flatmate has a hoop that she lets everyone use, and (though I’m awful at it!) it’s so much fun just to try, it definitely doesn’t feel like a work out.

Hi, Ali!
      So, you have access to one already – that’s great. It is fun, isn’t it? It’s really almost relaxing, actually. Hope your day is going well today :)

I’m finding that people are either ‘into it’ or they don’t want to have anything to do with it. It is fun though, and if you ever find yourself recovering from an injury it’s a good alternative!

3. TheFatMom

I think you would totally fit into that gypsy role! Let me know when you decide to join, I might come join with you! :)

ha! I’ll come pick you up and you can be a fortune-teller. I’ll draw people into your tent with my hooping abilities (ooh, and we’ll get a monkey to take people’s money!)

It’s all up to you now, dear Karen. You have to start hooping so you can compare results with me! Maybe I’m doing it wrong. I was SO hoping to look like that gal on the dvd but no luck there!

Ah, so you’ve done it! There are Hoopnotica classes around the country, I guess. I don’t think we have them here, though. Interesting that you did it in yoga. It is a relaxing exercise, though.

4. LauraJayne

I’ve been wanting to try hula for a while – I’ve heard positive things about it from so many sources! I’m not sure I could even hula when I was child though – I’m not exactly a coordination star!

Right, that’s it! I am actively searching for a hula hoop… I found a local hooping website with all kinds of information about hooping and where to find hoops. This will be a hoot!

Girlfriend, I am the most uncoordinated person you can imagine! Initially my stomach muscles are going to work hard from laughing! Which is of course one of the reasons I want to do this!

6. Michele @ Healthy Cultivations

Your review is thorough, and your commitment to this is thorough too. Every single day (except when sick) is so great! Most people wouldn’t do that. It sounds like you’re finding it fun, and I’m guessing learning a few tricks makes it even MORE fun.

7. Marsial2010

I was great at hula-hooping when I was a kid but haven’t thought about it for years. I am intrigued by the thought that it might tighten my stomach muscles.

By the way, Ellen, you asked over on my blog if we got hit by the storm. Oh, yes! We had three feet of snow on one side of the driveway, and it drifted to more than four feet on the other. Our whole county was closed down this AM, and even in the afternoon they were begging everyone to stay off the streets.

8. Shantell

I really want to try this! I feel like I am turning into a workout equip junkie…lol 1/2inch in the hips is amazing! Way cool. I was never able to hula hoop though but this weekend if I remember I am going to buy one from the store. It sounds like fun too.