Monday Musings: Readers, help me get my groove on!

I have about as much grace while exercising as an elephant in high heels.  You know this if you read my little rant about exercise DVDs.  I’ve been trying to get more creative by doing the retro walking that I posted about a couple of weeks ago but I still needed something else to get me through this slump I seem to be in. When I walk I usually start my incline at 7 as a warm-up and then do intervals from incline 7 to 15 for around 20-25 minutes.  My speed ranges from 3.0 miles per hour to 3.9 which is as fast as my short legs will allow before I would need to break out into a jog.

For those of you who are new to this blog, I have degenerative disc disease in my lower back (which is a fancy name for 3 bad discs).  This means that I have chronic pain and can’t sit for long periods of time.  I manage pretty well though and walking has done wonders to keep my pain at a minimum most of the time.   I’m limited to what I can do physically however,  and running is one of those things because it usually aggravates it. Have you ever been exercising and suddenly just wanted to push yourself a little bit further? Well, last night while counting down the minutes to the end of my workout on the treadmill I did a big no-no:  I went from my usual fast-inclined walk to a run.  Yep, I ran.  For over 10 minutes.

Want to know what I’m doing right now?  I’m icing my back.  I am paying the price for that little stunt with pain in my lower back as well as down my right leg.  I have a confession to make while I’m at it: this is the second time in the past month that I’ve ran on that blasted treadmill; the last time it took several days for my back to forgive me.

I think my problem is that I am bored to death with my routine as well as my music.  I most always listen to music when I’m on the treadmill.  I’m sure you’ve felt it:  you’re going along at your pace, eager to get done and wham!  A song comes through your speakers or earbuds that revs you up and gives you that little push you needed to get you through to the end.  My problem is that I’ve listened to the same songs so often that I’d almost rather walk in silence than hear that Michael Jackson tune one more time (and who doesn’t love the King of Pop?  I mean, come on!  It’s that bad!)

So, I am calling on all of my readers (and you lurkers too – hello there!) for some help.  You will not only be helping me, but I think many of us will benefit from this.  I can’t be the only one who gets bored while exercising, right?  If I had a new playlist of songs to listen to it would really help combat my boredom A LOT.

Here’s what you can do:  leave a comment with one or two of your favorite songs to workout or dance to; even a song that you just like to listen to because of its great rhythm.  The more songs you post, the fresher our set list.  There’s got to be some great songs out there that I’ve never heard before or have forgotten about that would be great to listen to while I walk.  It doesn’t matter if your taste in music is different than mine.  The only thing I care about is music with a strong, get my feet movin’ beat!

I’ll start with a few songs from my playlist to add to the pot:

• SexyBack by Justin Timberlake
  • Shake your Body by Michael Jackson (an oldie but a goodie)
  • The Right Life by Seal

My sanity and my back thank you!!

28 thoughts on “Monday Musings: Readers, help me get my groove on!

1. Roxie

My absolute "get me moving" go to stuff on my playlist – (with a great deal of shame) Ted Nugent. I know! Cat Scratch Fever and Stranglehold will get me moving like nothing else. No one was more shocked and appalled than me. But it works. And there's my perennial favorite, Van Halen – but I think you may be too young to appreciate it.

2. Shantell

I love everything from Enrique Iglesias its normally have a good beat. Black eye peas "I gotta feeling" is a nice song too The Ting Tings "That's not my name". I hope that helps I don't know your taste in music so it's hard to suggest something. But I hope this helps

Shannie, your suggestions are perfect! I can listen to almost anything as long as it gets me moving. Thanks for contributing – it's just what I needed :)

3. Michele

Normally, I prefer to exercise in silence. It's a very good time to be alone with my thoughts for a solid 45 minutes… zero interruptions. On occasion, I listen to music. It's usually show tunes with a bit of other things mixed in. I like to exercise to Gloria Gaynor's "I Will Survive." And "Anything Goes."

I wish I could do that. I think I'd have better blog posts if I could write them in my head while exercising; I'm one of those people that hates silence….gotta have something to help pass the time. Thanks for the songs – will definitely help!

4. Girly Girl

I actually have a playlist called dropping lbs and it is awesome! My three favorites are Calabria 2006-Enur featuring Natasha and Michael Jackson Don't Stop Til you Get Enough and Fergie- London Bridge. They all get me going and are almost 5 minutes long, so that right there is at least 15 minutes of non-stop workout music!

5. Sasha

Yes, the treadmill is outrageously boring which is why mine sits, gathering dust now. When I'm out running/walking I usually just put my iPod on shuffle but I do have a lot of playlists of different kinds of music. My favorites for getting me going are my Bollywood/Hindi-pop playlist, my Electronica playlist (Paul Oakenfold, Chemical Brothers, etc) and I'm a huge J-pop fan (Japanese pop music, it's very energetic and peppy).

I don't think I've ever heard Japanese Pop. I do listen to World Music (Afro Celt Sound System….have you heard of them? You might enjoy them). Adding to the list……thanks, Sasha!!

1. Sasha

It's just basically cheap pop music but it's Japanese. I've never really been into World Music but I'll give just about anything a try (obviously). :D

6. Beth

I find that fast (usually hard rock) gets me moving faster and working harder. Avenge Sevenfold songs are great, but my absolute favorite song to walk to is Adam Lambert's "If I had You". I absolutely love the tempo of that song!!

7. Mayhem Mama

I love African music – Amazon has a lot of free mp3 tracks up right now, and several of them are African dance music which has an awesome beat!

I also have a ton of 80s music that I love to dance and sing with (with the blinds closed and no one else in the house!)

8. Tim

When I hit 20 minutes on the cross trainer and I have 10 minutes left to go, on comes the classic Rocky songs:

Gonna Fly Now – Theme song
    Eye of the Tiger – Survivor
    Burning Heart – Survivor

Also the following songs are great to remain in the zone whilst running/exercising:

All my life – Foo Fighters
    Reflex – Duran Duran
    Any songs recorded by The Prodigy – They are great to work out too

Infact, I have an unfinished post which has loads of songs which will go on my 'motiviational' playlist.

9. Sarah@FatLittleLegs

Let's see… I my favorites
    Don't Stop Believin' – Glee
    Bad Moon Rising
    Black Horse and the Cherry Tree
    Suddenly I See
    Give you Hell – All American Rejects
    Beautiful Day – U2
    Hey Soul Sister – Train
    I Gotta Feelin' – Black Eyed Peas
    Physical – Olivia Newton John

Hope this helps

Oh, Sarah! Thank you for this library of goodies! I think I'm going to have to type everyone's suggestions and make a separate post – these are great :)

10. Kelly

Paparazzi, Just Dance, & Bad Romance by Lady Gaga.
    NY State of Mind – Jay-Z & Alicia Keyes.
    I Made It – Kevin Rudolf.
    Tik Tok – Kesha
    Lose Yourself – Eminem

11. Natalia

Well, I have a surprising one..I think…it's "Mama Mia" . That one has a great, fast, beat and I LOVE to walk to it!

Walking on Sunshine – Katrina and the Waves
    Shake it Up – The Cars

Hope that you heal up fast!!

Thanks for stopping by my blog today!!!

Hey, Natalia~
      WELCOME!! And thank you SO much for contributing to my little boredom dilemma – love your suggestions and adding them to my playlist. Hope to see you back soon – glad to have found you today :)

12. Julie

80's music is my favorite and Pop Goes the World is my get me going, keep me going, the last song of the work out.
    Thank you for stopping by. I'm going to try all kinds of goodness in the pita breads. I was thinking even peanut butter and jelly (I know not the best diet food but natural peanut butter and my home made jams so the sugar is less so can't be terrible wrong).
    Take care and I'm off to read a bit more. Have a blessed evening.

that sounds fantastic too, Julie. I can only imagine how good your homemade jams must be! Mmm!!
      Thanks for the input on music. I'll be adding it to my list!

13. Elaine

If you like 80s music, think artists like The Bangles -"Walk Like An Egyptian", Go-Gos "We Got the Beat" Gloria Estefan– "Conga", Belinda Carlisle-"Heaven is a Place on Earth", Bon Jovi-"Livin On A Prayer", Cyndi Lauper "Girls Just Want to Have Fun", Dire Straits-"Money for Nothing", "Walk of Life", Escape Club- "Wild Wild West". Well, you get the idea. Takes me back to my Jazzercising days! Have fun!