A test on Sunday? Yep: The Jung Typology Profile

Do you remember those magazines you used to read when you were younger that had quizzes like, Is he the right guy for you?  Do you have a love or lust relationship?  Which celebrity bad-girl are you? Should you dump your boyfriend?

As a teenager and well into my twenties I was hooked on those things. I couldn’t wait to tally up my answers and see if I were ‘an OK friend or a great friend!’  These days,  if I’m waiting in line at the grocery store flipping through Cosmopolitan or Glamour and come across one of their quizzes I shake my head and think, ‘That’s why I didn’t become a doctor.’

Which is why I refused at first when my husband recently asked me to take a personality quiz.  I thought to myself, ‘I’m forty.  Do I really need to waste my time on questions like,   When dancing at a club, do you mix-it-up like Madonna or disco like Danny DeVito?’

No no, my husband assured me.  This is a legitimate test, based on the research of Carl Jung, Katharine C. Briggs, and Isabel Briggs Myers.  He sent me here to read more about it.  Oh, it’s one of those legit ones….I said OK.

It’s called the Jung Typology Test and took a little over 5 minutes to complete.  There was no sign-up required, I didn’t have to give my email or any other personal information.  I just answered the questions and received immediate feedback of my personality type, which consists of 4 letters.  Once I had that information I went over to a Psychological Type Profiles page that told me everything I ever wanted to know about myself, including what type of job I am best suited for, what kind of work ethic I have, what kind of friends I have, how I function in certain situations and how many others there are like me in the world.

I have to tell you, when I read about my personality type, I was amazed.  It was literally like someone had read a chapter from my life.  It described me completely. My husband’s reaction to his test was the same way.

This test was really eye-opening for me in a lot of ways.  It reminded me that I’m not abnormal…that there are other people out there who are a lot like me. Not to say that we aren’t unique individuals in our own right, but It’s easy to feel awkward at times, uncomfortable in our own skin.  Being gently reminded that we aren’t alone in our behaviors I think is a good thing.  Plus, knowing more about ourselves can open us up to learning a lot of other things, such as why it’s so hard for some people to step out of their comfort zone (me) to why some people lean towards developing destructive eating habits (um, also me).  So, I thought I’d present you with the option of visiting these couple of sites and possibly taking this test as well.

If you do, come back around and let me know: did it describe your personality?  Do you have a better understanding of what kind of person you are?  Did you find that your career is similar to the ones that were listed for your type?  Did it describe you as well as it did me?

*Edited*
By the way, I am an ISFJ.  (I feel so exposed!!)  LOL

23 thoughts on “A test on Sunday? Yep: The Jung Typology Profile

1. Michele

So what's your type? I'm an INFJ… always have been. I've taken this test several times over the years.

Some employers ask employees to take this test and then they share and discuss with others so everyone has a bit of an understanding from where each person is coming from. A little empathy and understanding goes a long way to improving working relationships.

I suppose that would have been a good idea to list, huh? (me and my duh!! moment). I've edited my post to include my type. I had no idea these things were so popular! Thanks for sharing your type, Michele.

2. Shantell

I did the test I got !SFP (Introverted Sensing Feeling Perceiving) My first thought was that it only described me in bits and pieces. But my bf was so impressed with his reading that I decided to read what it said about me again and I came to the realization that it was dead on. ( He got INFJ (Introverted iNtuitive Feeling Judging) he was really impressed with what it said about him and he is proud of how he was described in the analysis.)

They didn't say what kind of jobs are for me because apparently I hate conventional education which I do but I am thinking about getting into Social Work I love helping others in need especially if they want and need the help.

i read about my sun sign and Chinese signs as well they describe me very well also. I am Sagittarius and a Pig

3. Vickie

INTJ
    Introverted Intuitive Thinking Judging

And two of my kids have taken these tests in college level psychology class. oldest was turning 18 and the middle just took it at age 16. And it was helpful for them to sort of see how they 'fit'.

I think I'm the only one who's never heard of this test (I've seriously got to get with the program!) Thanks for sharing your type, Vickie. I edited my post to include mine (forgot to do that)

4. Jayne Doe

Here's what I got:

Your Type is
    INFP
    IntrovertedIntuitiveFeelingPerceiving
    Strength of the preferences %
    33565611

Though I never seem to consistently get the same results on this sort of test because on a longer version I tend to have some differences. As you can see by my two scores near the 5- mark, I can sometimes go either way re: intiutive/thinking and feeling/sensing.

I believe Mary was right in her comment – there is always gray areas and I had a few questions that I really didn't know how to answer – it just depended on my mood. I read somewhere that as we evolve, our personality traits change as well.

We used this test often back in my Human Resources Management days. My husband and I also used it a lot when we taught at Marriage Enrichment retreats through our church.

I'm an INTJ through and through. No middle ground for me. Off the charts, INTJ!!!!

6. Jane

This was fun! I have taken the test before, and this outcome is the same and the previous one. I am an INFJ. I think it's accurate, based on what I know of myself.

yours is close to mine, Jane (ISFJ). They say that as you age, your type may change, but that doesn't look like it's true in your case…..you're INFJ through and through!

7. Mary

INFJ Got me pretty spot on…called me a Counselor Idealist, which I am, being in my current job in a rehab centre for women with drug and alcohol dependancy I work as a counselor and senior supervisor. And my previous job I was a youth worker and the time before that, bar tender which as we all know, takes a fair bit of counselling skills :P But even down to my basic personality and reactions to situations it nailed me to a T. However, although having used these tests myself on clients, I only use them as a generalisation, because, although they give an over view of a persons personality, they aren't definite. Like Jayne Doe said above, about hovering either way over one, there's always grey areas, depends on a lot of differing factors that can't fit into yes and no answers, sometimes the answer is sometimes or maybe or not sure. And how well we can lie to ourselves without even realising we are doing it. But it does give a very clear over view of your general personality, not your individual personality of that makes sense. I enjoyed taking it again though and knowing I haven't changed at all since I last took it at 21 lol

8. Beth

I am a ESFJ (Extraverted Sensing Feeling Judging). The word they used to describe it was a provider. I guess that fits!

9. chariander

I'm an ENFJ – which is kinda funny since I've taken this in college and quite a few times since then (have you ever heard of strength builders? Interesting book, based on the Myers-Briggs test) and every single time I've gotten a different result! For the record, I don't think the ENFJ describes me well at all. Ah well:) It was still fun! I love taking quizzes!

I have never heard of strength builders – heck, I had never even heard of this test before and I minored in psychology in college! Shameful, I tell you. I'll have to look into that book because I've found this to be pretty fascinating. Thanks for the tip, Charlotte! Have a good night :)

10. Susan

That's odd – I've done this test several times at work and have always scored as INTJ, but this time, I came out as ISTJ.

Some parts of the summary described me, but much of it didn't.